

Well, Aaron and I are back in Singapore and we have been enjoying some local sightseeing and expat events. We went to one of the local parks called Fort Canning Park to participate in the American Association of Singapore's Music Festival. We went with several of our new expat friends. We sat on blankets in the park and enjoyed food and wine and some really good live bands. The atmosphere is like Ravinia in Chicago.

In September, there was the Mid-Autumn Festival and we went to China Town to see the chinese lantern displays and eat some moon cake. This is a pastry that is stuffed with different fillings i.e. lotus paste, pineapple, bean paste, egg, and others. During the festival, people will walk around the neighborhoods with small paper lanterns or they go to local temples to provide donations and offerings. They also watch chinese theater groups perform Chines Operas.


I also did some exploring of the local Muslim neighborhood called Arab street. The muslims in Singapore are Malaysian and they have probably been in Singapore the longest compared to the Chinese and Indian people. Arab street is filled with unique restaurants and shops with various handicrafts, cloths like pashmina, and this mosque that I came across. I also visited the local Malaysian Heritage Museum which talked about the history and cultural arts of this group in Singapore.


No comments:
Post a Comment